Andras Andrew Rasmussen, born in Denmark in 1859 was the first settler of the property that would eventually become CONSTANT Diamond Mountain Vineyard®.
In 1876, Rasmussen decided at the age of 16 to become a rancher, he journeyed from Denmark to Omaha, NE to live with his uncle to learn his profession. He spent three years in Omaha then moved to San Francisco to work in a machine shop. While he earned his keep in the shop he attended night school. In 1880 Rasmussen moved to Napa County and found employment at Talcoa Vineyard (now Hudson Vineyard in Carneros) while working he studied viticulture under Professor George Husmann, for four years. Husmann offered Andras a position as foreman for his own vineyard in Chiles Valley. After several years serving as foreman for a variety of vineyards Rasmussen eventually was engaged as superintendent of Summit Vineyard and Winery. He managed that property for eight years. In 1895 he purchased 120 acres, all timber and cleared 30 acres himself to plant vines. A successful farmer, Rasmussen continued in the wine business until his death in 1932.
In 1993 Fred and Mary Constant purchased the property from a family who had acquired it years earlier from the Rasmussen’s. With the intent on becoming a grower, Fred tasted a wine produced from his grapes and decided that he should be both a grower and a vintner. CONSTANT’s first vintage was 1995 made by Philippe Melka. When the wines were released to the public they were an instant hit and favorite of the critics. In the Fall of 2016 the estate changed hands one more time.
Today the wines from CONSTANT Diamond Mountain Vineyard® are well received by both the winery’s membership as well as critics. The elevation of the vineyards (just under 2200 feet) gives the grapes the optimal exposure to the sun, providing longer ripening times and complexity to develop into sublime mountain wines.